24 September, 2021
At Heywood Hill we specialise in customer-focused bookselling services for readers and collectors worldwide.
A Year in Books is our popular monthly book subscription. Every month a dedicated team of talented booksellers choose books for each recipient individually based on what we know about their reading tastes and interests. The service has grown significantly since it was launched in 2013.
Our packing team then gift-wrap thousands of bookish parcels each month in Heywood Hill’s brown paper and blue ribbon to be dispatched from London to customers not just all over Britain but to over 50 countries, and almost every state in the USA.
We are looking to recruit an experienced manager to lead Heywood Hill’s Subscriptions Department and the continuing improvement and expansion of A Year in Books.
The ideal candidate will be a proven manager of people with a track record in delivering world class customer service combined with strong operational performance.
Ideally you will have a background in bookselling, but not necessarily. An appreciation of good writing and physical books is essential.
Our subscription service is, we think, the most personalised in the world. We cater for all tastes. You will bring the service to life for the outside world, and act as its spokesperson and chief advocate.
We are looking for a team leader with the following attributes:
a lifelong reader
a people person who relishes looking after both customers and colleagues, and managing a host of relationships with publishers and other suppliers
a dynamic problem-solver with a feel for operations (ideally with a track record in managing and improving a logistical operation)
a driven and ambitious person with an instinct for sales and how to generate them
an innovator looking to improve what we do and how we do it
a positive, constructive leader with a can-do attitude
You will be responsible for A Year in Books in terms of both operations and sales.
• Business development and sales within the department to ensure profitability including plans, budgets and targets
• Reviewing current activities and processes, and implementing improvements
• Managing and developing the Subscriptions team, ensuring adequate staffing and appropriate training, management, development and assessment
• Establishing and managing service standards and boundaries within the Subscriptions Department, including every aspect of customer service and engagement
• Overseeing and leading the day-to-day operations of the Subscriptions Department and ensuring well-chosen books are selected and dispatched each month, liaising closely with the Packing Department
• Determining pricing levels for A Year in Books, including postage
• Integrating the Subscriptions Department into the company as a whole.
Normal working hours are 9.30am to 6pm from Monday to Friday, with 45 minutes off for lunch each day. Our booksellers are occasionally required to work on Saturdays or Sundays, usually in the run up to Christmas, from 9.30am to 6pm for which a day off in lieu will be given in the same week by agreement.
Permanent full-time position.
Start Date: Autumn 2021
Salary: c£35,000 per annum, dependant on experience
The place of work is our shop at 10 Curzon Street, W1, but may involve some work from home and our warehouse (currently in NW10).
Heywood Hill is an equal opportunities employer.
Please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and a short cover note, summarising why you think you would be suitable for this role, before midnight on Friday 15 October 2021. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed shortly thereafter.